Thursday, April 26, 2007

Introduction

It’s hard to describe yourself, but I’ll try. I wrote a Java implementation of Magic: The Gathering that lets you play against the computer using all the rules of a real game, unlike Apprentice.

MTG Forge http://sourceforge.net/projects/mtgforge
-365 cards are available
-Constructed, Sealed, or Draft mode
-Automatically downloads card pictures

Magic is the oldest and mostpopular card game around that currently has around 8,000 cards. My program currently has 365 cards, which is pretty good. My initial goal was 150 cards, 30 of each color. It was a large project that was written by just me. I don’t eschew other programmers, and I’m sure I could work in a group, but I just programmed it for fun in my free time. Actually, I’m very happy with it. It works, so much software, especially free software, seems a little buggy, which I totally understand. Free software is written mostly by computer enthusiasts and bug stopping is usually no fun, personally I hate it. Free software also tends to have a basic user interface or none at all. My program has a simple user interface written all in Java, and it shows, but it is at least a visual interface. It automatically downloads all of the card pictures, which is a nice bonus to the user. I am really proud of the deck editor. It works nicely and is very easy to use.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hah,
I love to read through old blog-post, seemed you really had a good idea.
Great program, keep on working (be it for you or for others), I love magic and this way to casually play it (even more casually than I usually do :).

greetings Malacath

PS: I wonder if you will ever read this ^^

Forge said...

Yeah I read it, thanks.