Thursday, July 19, 2007

I want my Block

When I started programming MTG Forge, just getting anything to work was a miracle. So I knew from the beginning that I wouldn’t be able to program a whole block. (In case you didn’t know, Time Spiral Block is composed of the sets Time Spiral, Planar Chaos, and Future Sight.) So I decided to program cards that would be fun to play with and very powerful. In essence, I would program my own “super-block” filled with Magic’s all-stars like Flametongue Kavu and Kokusho, the Evening Star.

My super-block idea worked a little, I mean there are plenty of powerful cards to choose from. MTG Forge currently has 401 cards, and all of them are playable. But not having a real block of cards to use did seem hallow for some reason. Blocks have cohesion, while my ragtag grouping of cards was unrelated. It was like a bunch of individual pro players not working as a team, powerful but lacking consistency.

So currently I am working on MTG Forge 2.0 and 10th Edition. The newest core set has many simple cards that are easily programmed as well as some toughies like March of the Machines (which animates all artifacts), Rule of Law (which limits each player to just one spell a turn), and Platinum Angel (You can’t lose the game, and your opponents can’t win the game). It would be great to be able to play draft, sealed, and block constructed with 10th Edition. Just a heads up, it will be many months before I get done. I don’t mind people asking about MTG Forge 2.0, but don’t expect anytime soon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.