Today I’m just going to talk about “getting stuff done.” MTG Forge was completed not because it was a work of art but because I was willing to use duct tape and “get it done.”
Magic is a wonderful game that seems to attract its fair share of programmers but very few programs ever get finished enough to be useable. Part of this problem is that people try to add too much stuff and get overwhelmed. I didn’t have this problem with MTG Forge version 1 but I’m definitely having it with version 2. In version 1 I knew that it was going to be not-perfect so I didn’t sweat the details. At first the computer treated all mana costs as colorless. I wasn’t trying to make the computer perfect and later I was able to update the code so the computer would tap the appropriate lands.
I also programmed MTG Forge with only a few of the phases because I didn’t know how to program all of them. While this annoying from the players perspective, it enabled me to work on the rest of the program and get it done. The same thing could be said about the user interface. It isn’t perfect but it has gone through a few upgrades and it looks better. At first the card picture was only displayed on the right and the cards in your hand and on the battlefield were just colored boxes.
Much like writing a paper for school, you just sit done and “get it done” or as we say in the south “git er done.”
p.s. By south I mean the southern USA not South American.