Friday, April 11, 2008

Annoying Rares

Rare cards annoy me. It always seems like I could assembled my supreme deck if I just had a few more rare cards. In my mind, each rare card equals $$. I could continue to tell you what I think, but The Ferrett wrote the definitive primer on rares.

In Defense Of Rares

To a lesser extent Mark Rosewater (head card guru) wrote articles explaining card rarity.

Common Courtesy
Rare, but Well Done

One of the reasons why I wrote MTG Forge is because I wanted to use rare, fun cards. So I guess without rares, maybe MTG Forge wouldn’t ever exist, who knows? Much like being mana screwed, rares are a part of Magic.

(Mana screw is a really unnecessary part of the game. You should be able to play any blue card and it would magically become an Island like the Marvel/DC VS card game. I might implement this as an optional feature in MTG Forge.)

2 comments:

Seth said...

"(Mana screw is a really unnecessary part of the game. You should be able to play any blue card and it would magically become an Island like the Marvel/DC VS card game. I might implement this as an optional feature in MTG Forge.)"

On MTGO there's an avatar card which allows you to do just that. The results aren't as nice as you would think because the decks that benefit the most are draw/go style blue decks, which I personally find to be unfun.

Forge said...

Interesting, I don't play MTGO at all nowadays. I still would like to program the feature (play any card as a land) to see how it works. With MTG Forge you wouldn't have to play against unfun blue decks :)